Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Acacia Anuera

The Acacia Anuera, also called Mulga Acacia, is truly one of the most functional and reliable trees to use in arid landscapes.   Native to the the dry outbacks of Australia, it is no stranger to rocky soil, long droughts, below freezing temperatures and extreme heat. For most homeowners, the heat of the Arizona summer is generally the main concern for plant choice- while the cold winters are overlooked.  Rightfully so, we all dread the summer and 115 degree temperatures !  Many plants, however, tend to have more issues with the cold that the heat here in the desert.  A few nights of of freezing temperatures and the Tree Doctor's phones are ringing off the hook with calls about "coastal" trees like Ficus, Jacaranda, Orchid and many more.  They die back considerably (sometimes 50-75%), losing many years of growth, water and resources in one night.  The sanity of the homeowner is also at stake; trying to rig up lights, blankets, small fires to combat the frost.  I have seen many methods of protecting trees, mostly Ficus.

Now, moving on to the Acacia Anuera.  This tree is fearless to both extremes.  In below freezing temperatures  every leaf remains in tact, on the tree, and with no frost damage.  In 115 temperatures, it's the same story.  It is very rare for a true evergreen tree to remain in tact throughout the season.  In fact, there really are only a handful of them.  So to add to that, this Acacia is also clean, virtually maintenance free, very drought tolerant, and can provide some nice shade without a very invasive root system.  They also add a nice contrast to a design, both in color and texture.

This tree is perfect for residential use or commercial use.  Whether in a parking lot or shading a driveway, they perform consistently for us time and time again.


14 comments:

  1. thanks for the post

    I know these trees are used in water scarce areas because it can can grow in less water


    Hope to see more posts related to Anthem AZ Landscaping

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy the design of these landscaping sites. I personally am not able to do it because I'm not from Arizona. I'm pretty sure someone would have to put me under an hypnosis so that I could design this. I do not have any talent when it comes to landscaping. Do you know of anyone doing hypnosis training? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only plantation can decrease the temp of environment,it is the example of landscaping with huge plantation change the whole living.
    Roger

    ReplyDelete
  4. By that fact, I'm convinced planting acacia anuera in my backyard.
    lighting alamo ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great Post! Here in Phoenix how long will it usually take for a tree like this to be full size?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Landscape maintenance does more than just keep grounds looking great year-round. It also maintains the integrity of your landscaping.
    Landscaping Beverly MA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I even have been getting a lot of helpful and informative material in your web site. Landscape Design Sarasota FL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Acacia trees are perfect for landscaping, they are shady and can provide potential useful products.

    masonry and landscape maintenance ny

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want to find some great landscaping services to help me out with my yard project. That is what I am really looking for and it is what I really want too. I just want to get this whole thing done and over with so I do not have to worry about this so much.
    Jak Manson | http://shadywoodtreeexperts.com/11278/11320.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love landscaping. Growing up, I always wanted to mow the lawn. How did you start landscaping for a career? I would love to do that but just don't know how to get into it.
    http://www.naturaldesignslv.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The landscaping here in Arizona can be beautiful, but can also attract scorpions. If you are seeing scorpions around your home, get Bulwark Pest Control

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for introducing me to Acacia trees for landscaping! I live in a northern desert climate where it can get very cold and very hot, so this durable tree seems perfect to plant on my property! Do you know how much water they require? http://www.lawnbustersmowing.com.au/lawnmowing

    ReplyDelete

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP